Job Location: Jersey City, NJ
Our client is a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, natural resources, financial services, government, and risk management. Our client is looking for highly motivated candidates for their Computational and Human Intelligence Lab interested in solving pure and applied research problems as well as work with engineering teams to develop deployable AI and ML products and services in areas including computer vision, natural language processing, speech understanding, and as well as other problem spaces in the FinTech industry.
The lab is focused on building human-machine collaborative systems and intelligent workflows to extraction information from structured and unstructured data – documents, images, videos, and audio data. Focus areas include deep generative models and Bayesian deep learning, learning with small amounts of data/ supervision, creating knowledge representations and leveraging them for ML, active inference and continuous learning.
- Conduct theoretical and applied research in ML and AI, advance the state of the art, create intellectual property (patents), and publish in top-tier conferences and journals
- Mentor new members, advise on research theses and work on university collaborations
- Help Develop algorithms and systems to solve large-scale, real-world problems; their rapid prototyping, deployment, and evaluation; hardening and optimizing for speed, size or accuracy
- Collaborate effectively in hybrid teams composed of ML scientists, software engineers, product managers; work with BU & marketing teams to deliver solutions & addressing customer concerns
- Present and discuss work to research and business teams, management and at conferences and Expos
- Counsels key stakeholders on areas of expertise. Partners cross-functionally to translate and define business needs for area of responsibility to execute against. Strategically partners cross-functionally to develop the strategies and actionable roadmap to meet goals. Develops short- and long-range strategies, plans and actionable goals. Oversees implementation of procedures, processes, and policies that have significant impact upon the organization.
- Makes recommendations for the formulation of the strategies and operating plans of the specified area of responsibility, then, based on prevailing conditions executes or adjusts the operating plans of the business unit directed.
- Shares complex information related to areas of expertise. Interacts with senior management to keep abreast of objectives. Interacts with direct reports and peers in management / customers / vendors to interpret information and improve cross-functional processes and programs. Builds and enhances key internal and external contacts.
- Sets financial, operational and quality objectives and develops/oversees operating plans for the area of responsibility.
- Ensures growth and optimization of consumer awareness, market share and/or specified initiatives. . Reviews the competitive marketplace and makes recommendations for adjustments to operational activities based upon identified information.
- May develops budget for specified area of responsibility and delivers against business goals/objectives.
- Analyzes performance drivers, proactively determines actionable strategy, and then contributes to identifying solutions for mitigation and/or optimization to achieve overall business goals.
- Directs teams accountable for daily operations. Oversees and directs the work of managers, senior managers and their subordinates. Obtains and allocates resources to meet operating plans. Ensures the ongoing training and development of direct reports. Develops and mentors staff through on-boarding, open communication, training and development opportunities and performance management processes; builds and maintains employee morale and motivation; ensures the team is appropriately staffed with required competencies; fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- A PH.D. in computer science, electrical engineering, Statistics, Applied Math or a related discipline
- 5 years prior hands-on experience in building AI and ML applications in computer vision, natural language processing, speech understanding or related areas
- Prior programming and systems skills; proficiency in C++, Python, Lua and relevant tools & libraries like Torch, Tensorflow, Keras, OpenCV, etc.; familiarity with GPU programming
- Excellent problem-solving, and analytical skills; ability to think out of the box and to learn quickly
- Passion for theoretical and applied research and for answering hard questions with data
- Experience establishing & maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, including the executive level.
- Experience developing strategic initiatives which align with business goals and budget.
- Experience identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience interacting at the executive level.
- Experience managing client-facing programs.
- At least 3 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
- At least 3 years of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work.